“The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) define global sustainable development priorities and aspirations for 2030 and seek to mobilize global efforts around a common set of goals and targets. The SDGs call for worldwide action among governments, business and civil society to end poverty and create a life of dignity and opportunity for all, within the boundaries of the planet.”
SDG 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- By 2030, ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services
- By 2030, increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
- By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
- By 2030, enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology
- By 2030, expand infrastructure and upgrade technology for supplying modern and sustainable energy services for all in developing countries, in particular least developed countries, small island developing States, and land-locked developing countries, in accordance with their respective programmes of support
Companies that have reported on SDG 7 include BASF and SAP.
BASF is providing chemicals to the renewable energy industries. One of these examples is by providing chemicals and consulting services for concentrated solar plants (CSP). CSP technology involves using solar radiation that heats a fluid to generate electricity. Use of this technology enables the storage of thermal energy to be used when direct sunlight is absent. BASF’s contribution is the manufacture and supply of salts in storing and transferring heat.
Another example is the coating produced by BASF that protects wind turbine rotor blades, which are exposed continuously to external weather conditions such as UV radiation, rain, and hail. In addition to protection, these costing increase the efficiency of the blades. The coatings extend the service life of the blades, which is around 20 years.
SAP, a German software corporation creates software for businesses to manage their operations and customer relations. In its part to support SDG 7, the company uses 100% renewable energy in all of its data centers and facilities. In addition, SAP’s software is involved with helping utilities in Ethiopia to harmonize and simplify the operations of the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation. SAP is working in many other countries to increase energy efficiency and promote conservation strategies by installing software specifically designed for use by electric companies to transition to sustainable energy.