“The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) define global sustainable development priorities and aspirations for 2030 and seek to mobilize global efforts around a common set of goals and targets. The SDGs call for worldwide action among governments, business and civil society to end poverty and create a life of dignity and opportunity for all, within the boundaries of the planet.”
Goal 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Develop quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, including regional and transborder infrastructure, to support economic development and human well-being, with a focus on affordable and equitable access for all
- Promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and, by 2030, significantly raise industry’s share of employment and gross domestic product, in line with national circumstances, and double its share in least developed countries
- Increase the access of small-scale industrial and other enterprises, in particular in developing countries, to financial services, including affordable credit, and their integration into value chains and markets
- By 2030, upgrade infrastructure and retrofit industries to make them sustainable, with increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes, with all countries taking action in accordance with their respective capabilities
- Enhance scientific research, upgrade the technological capabilities of industrial sectors in all countries, in particular developing countries, including, by 2030, encouraging innovation and substantially increasing the number of research and development workers per 1 million people and public and private research and development spending
- Facilitate sustainable and resilient infrastructure development in developing countries through enhanced financial, technological and technical support to African countries, least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States 18
- Support domestic technology development, research and innovation in developing countries, including by ensuring a conducive policy environment for, inter alia, industrial diversification and value addition to commodities
- Significantly increase access to information and communications technology and strive to provide universal and affordable access to the Internet in least developed countries by 2020
Praxair Inc., an American Fortune 300 company, produces industrial gases. In 2016, its sales totaled $10.5 million with close to 26,500 employees. It has over 1 million customers in over 50 countries.
In support of SDG 9, Praxair produces gases that are used for drinking water, wastewater, process water, and food processing.
Volvo Group, a Swedish multinational company, is one of the leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines. The company reports that it addresses SDG 9 by producing the largest bus chassis for a bus that can carry 300 passengers.
Volvo Group meets one of the SDG 9 targets by providing vocational training in African countries.
Stay tuned for SDG 10!