“The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) define global sustainable development priorities and aspirations for 2030 and seek to mobilize global efforts around a common set of goals and targets. The SDGs call for worldwide action among governments, business and civil society to end poverty and create a life of dignity and opportunity for all, within the boundaries of the planet.”
Goal 11: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable
- By 2030, ensure access for all to adequate, safe and affordable housing and basic services and upgrade slums
- By 2030, provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems for all, improving road safety, notably by expanding public transport, with special attention to the needs of those in vulnerable situations, women, children, persons with disabilities and older persons
- By 2030, enhance inclusive and sustainable urbanization and capacity for participatory, integrated and sustainable human settlement planning and management in all countries
- Strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural and natural heritage
- By 2030, significantly reduce the number of deaths and the number of people affected and substantially decrease the direct economic losses relative to global gross domestic product caused by disasters, including water-related disasters, with a focus on protecting the poor and people in vulnerable situations
- By 2030, reduce the adverse per capita environmental impact of cities, including by paying special attention to air quality and municipal and other waste management
- By 2030, provide universal access to safe, inclusive and accessible, green and public spaces, in particular for women and children, older persons and persons with disabilities
- Support positive economic, social and environmental links between urban, peri-urban and rural areas by strengthening national and regional development planning
- By 2020, substantially increase the number of cities and human settlements adopting and implementing integrated policies and plans towards inclusion, resource efficiency, mitigation and adaptation to climate change, resilience to disasters, and develop and implement, in line with the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, holistic disaster risk management at all levels
- Support least developed countries, including through financial and technical assistance, in building sustainable and resilient buildings utilizing local materials
Based in Switzerland Novartis is a global healthcare company with approximately 120,000 employees. Novartis aligns its disclosure SDG 11 with the Global Reporting Initiative G4 indicator EC7 Development and impact of infrastructure investments and services supported. Their involvement with SDG 11 includes contributing to the advancement of local healthcare infrastructure in emerging countries.
Ikea, a multinational company headquartered in the Netherlands, designs and sells furniture in over 400 retail stores across 49 countries. Its alignment with SDG 11 is represented by its research on future homes and communities to enable its customers and co-workers to live a more sustainable life.
Ericsson is a Swedish multinational company specializing in networking and telecommunications that has approximately 110,000 employees across 180 countries. The company has reported its alignment with SDG 11 by the connection of city buses to a mobile broadband network.
Stay tuned for SDG 12!