SDG 12 Responsible Consumption and Production is a continuation of my series on the SDGs.
You can watch a short video on SDG 12.
“The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) define global sustainable development priorities and aspirations for 2030 and seek to mobilize global efforts around a common set of goals and targets. The SDGs call for worldwide action among governments, business and civil society to end poverty and create a life of dignity and opportunity for all, within the boundaries of the planet.”
SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Implement the 10-year framework of programmes on sustainable consumption and production, all countries taking action, with developed countries taking the lead, taking into account the development and capabilities of developing countries
- By 2030, achieve the sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources
- By 2030, halve per capita global food waste at the retail and consumer levels and reduce food losses along production and supply chains, including post-harvest losses
- By 2020, achieve the environmentally sound management of chemicals and all wastes throughout their life cycle, in accordance with agreed international frameworks, and significantly reduce their release to air, water and soil in order to minimize their adverse impacts on human health and the environment
- By 2030, substantially reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse
- Encourage companies, especially large and transnational companies, to adopt sustainable practices and to integrate sustainability information into their reporting cycle
- Promote public procurement practices that are sustainable, in accordance with national policies and priorities
- By 2030, ensure that people everywhere have the relevant information and awareness for sustainable development and lifestyles in harmony with nature
- Support developing countries to strengthen their scientific and technological capacity to move towards more sustainable patterns of consumption and production
- Develop and implement tools to monitor sustainable development impacts for sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products
- Rationalize inefficient fossil-fuel subsidies that encourage wasteful consumption by removing market distortions, in accordance with national circumstances, including by restructuring taxation and phasing out those harmful subsidies, where they exist, to reflect their environmental impacts, taking fully into account the specific needs and conditions of developing countries and minimizing the possible adverse impacts on their development in a manner that protects the poor and the affected communities
UPS addresses SDG 12 with its policies that require customers to comply with all applicable laws and regulations regarding packages for shipment with UPS.
UPS – SDG – 12. UPS requires that package contents comply with all applicable regulations.
Dupont supports SDG 12 Responsible Consumption and Production by developing enzymes that increase the shelf life of food and providing education that demonstrates the reuse of packaging into useful objects.
Dupont’s Virtuous Cycle Project
Ericsson takes back products in an effort to process e-waste in an environmentally responsible manner.
SDG 13 will be discussed in my next blog post.
I am engaging in Responsible Consumption and Production, too. All SWR blog posts are created using solar power and are hosted by renewable energy sources!